I have always been broadly curious about the world, making materials science a great field for me due to its diverse and interdisciplinary nature. My formal education focused on metallurgy including thermodynamics, kinetics, extractive, physical, and chemical metallurgy. Among these, I have particularly specialized in physical metallurgy and material characterization because I would like to understand why and how a material responds to an applied stimulus. During my education I worked broadly in the field of metallurgy on problems ranging from powder metallurgy to directional solidification. I even had an undergraduate internship working with an iron blast furnace. During my studies I have used and developed numerous characterization methods within the subfields of quantitative microstructural analysis, x-ray diffraction, scanning and transmission electron microscopy, mechanical testing, and differential scanning calorimetry. After I completed my Ph.D., I began working in the field of data-driven materials research and materials informatics methods. These methods allow me to accelerate materials discovery. I am particularly enthusiastic about contributing to the modernization of metallurgical science, where I began my research career. The processing-structure-properties challenge, which is inherent in metallurgy, is ideal for these methods due to the data’s multi-dimensionality and complexity. My goals in this work is not just to create predictive models, but also to provide a quantitative understanding of the underlying relationships between processing, structure, and properties.
- 2008 S.B., Middle East Technical University, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Ankara, Turkey
- 2011 M.S., Middle East Technical University, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Ankara, Turkey
- 2015 Ph.D., Iowa State University, Materials Science & Engineering
- 2015-2018 Postdoctoral Associate, Washington State University
- 2016-2017 Postdoctoral Associate, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 2018-pres. Assistant Research Professor, Washington State University