Assistant Research Professor
Ph.D. in Drug Discovery – Universita Degli Studi Di Genova – Istituto Italiano Di Tecnologia, Genoa, ITALY
Master of Science in Pharmaceutical Biotechnology – National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER), SAS Nagar, India
Bachelor in Pharmaceutical Sciences – NDMVP Samaja’s College of Pharmacy, University of Pune, India
- Discovery of endogenous probe for drug metabolizing enzymes to predict the interindividual variability and drug-drug interaction.
- Quantitative proteomic analysis of drug metabolizing enzyme (DMEs) and drug transporters to explore inter-individual variability in DMEs and transporters expression in various tissue across preclinical species and human.
Dr. Basit is an assistant research professor in the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Washington State University Spokane, WA. He has worked as a senior fellow and technical director for quantitative proteomics and metabolomics at Prasad Lab in the Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy, University of Washington, Seattle, WA. His current research focus deals with biomarker discovery for drug-metabolizing enzymes and transporters using mass spectrometry for the prediction of drug-drug interaction, adverse therapeutic events associated with narrow therapeutic window drugs and prediction of precision dosing based on biomarkers.
- Basit A, Radi Z, Vaidya VS, Karasu M, Prasad B. Kidney cortical transporter expression across species using quantitative proteomics. Drug Metab Dispos 2019;47:802-8.
- Basit A#, Vozella V#, Piras F, Realini N, Armirotti A, Bossu P, et al. Elevated plasma ceramide levels in post-menopausal women: A cross-sectional study. Aging (Albany NY) 2019;11:73-88. #Equal contribution first author
- Li CY, Hosey-Cojocari C, Basit A, Unadkat JD, Leeder JS, Prasad B. Optimized renal transporter quantification by using aquaporin 1 and aquaporin 2 as anatomical markers: Application in characterizing the ontogeny of renal transporters and its correlation with hepatic transporters in paired human samples. AAPS J 2019;21:88.
- Li CY, Basit A, Gupta A, Gaborik Z, Kis E, Prasad B. Major glucuronide metabolites of testosterone are primarily transported by mrp2 and mrp3 in human liver, intestine and kidney. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 2019;191:105350.
- Basit A#, Hamid Z#, Pontis S, Piras F, Assogna F, Bossu P, et al. Gender specific decrease of a set of circulating n-acylphosphatidyl ethanolamines (napes) in the plasma of parkinson’s disease patients. Metabolomics 2019;15:74. #Equal contribution first author.
- De Vita T, Albani C, Realini N, Migliore M, Basit A, Ottonello G, Cavalli A. Inhibition of serine palmitoyltransferase by a small organic molecule promotes neuronal survival after astrocyte amyloid beta 1-42 injury. ACS Chem Neurosci 2019;10:1627-35.
- Bhatt DK, Mehrotra A, Gaedigk A, Chapa R, Basit A, Zhang H, et al. Age- and genotype-dependent variability in the protein abundance and activity of six major uridine diphosphate-glucuronosyltransferases in human liver. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2019;105:131-41.
- Zhang H, Basit A, Busch D, Yabut K, Bhatt DK, Drozdzik M, et al. Quantitative characterization of udp-glucuronosyltransferase 2b17 in human liver and intestine and its role in testosterone first-pass metabolism. Biochem Pharmacol 2018;156:32-42.
- Bhatt DK, Basit A, Zhang H, Gaedigk A, Lee SB, Claw KG, et al. Hepatic abundance and activity of androgen- and drug-metabolizing enzyme ugt2b17 are associated with genotype, age, and sex. Drug Metab Dispos 2018;46:888-96.
- Basit A, Amory JK, Prasad B. Effect of dose and 5alpha-reductase inhibition on the circulating testosterone metabolite profile of men administered oral testosterone. Clin Transl Sci 2018;11:513-22.
- Vozella V, Basit A, Misto A, Piomelli D. Age-dependent changes in nervonic acid-containing sphingolipids in mouse hippocampus. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Biol Lipids 2017;1862:1502-11.
- Tran TN, Athanassiou A, Basit A, Bayer IS. Starch-based bio-elastomers functionalized with red beetroot natural antioxidant. Food Chem 2017;216:324-33.
- Basit A#, Merrill CB#, Armirotti A, Jia Y, Gall CM, Lynch G, Piomelli D. Patch clamp-assisted single neuron lipidomics. Sci Rep 2017;7:5318. #Equal contribution first author.
- Di Pardo A, Basit A, Armirotti A, Amico E, Castaldo S, Pepe G, et al. De novo synthesis of sphingolipids is defective in experimental models of huntington’s disease. Front Neurosci 2017;11:698.
- Di Pardo A, Amico E, Basit A, Armirotti A, Joshi P, Neely MD, et al. Defective sphingosine-1-phosphate metabolism is a druggable target in huntington’s disease. Sci Rep 2017;7:5280.
- Capodivento G, Visigalli D, Garnero M, Fancellu R, Ferrara MD, Basit A, et al. Sphingomyelin as a myelin biomarker in csf of acquired demyelinating neuropathies. Sci Rep 2017;7:7831.
- Realini N, Palese F, Pizzirani D, Pontis S, Basit A, Bach A, et al. Acid ceramidase in melanoma: Expression, localization, and effects of pharmacological inhibition. J Biol Chem 2016;291:2422-34.
- Basit A, Pontis S, Piomelli D, Armirotti A. Ion mobility mass spectrometry enhances low-abundance species detection in untargeted lipidomics. Metabolomics 2016;12:50.
- Dotsey EY, Jung KM, Basit A, Wei D, Daglian J, Vacondio F, et al. Peroxide-dependent mgl sulfenylation regulates 2-ag-mediated endocannabinoid signaling in brain neurons. Chem Biol 2015;22:619-28.
- Basit A, Piomelli D, Armirotti A. Rapid evaluation of 25 key sphingolipids and phosphosphingolipids in human plasma by lc-ms/ms. Anal Bioanal Chem 2015;407:5189-98.
- Astarita G, Avanesian A, Grimaldi B, Realini N, Justinova Z, Panlilio LV, et al. Methamphetamine accelerates cellular senescence through stimulation of de novo ceramide biosynthesis. PLoS One 2015;10:e0116961.
- Armirotti A, Basit A, Realini N, Caltagirone C, Bossu P, Spalletta G, Piomelli D. Sample preparation and orthogonal chromatography for broad polarity range plasma metabolomics: Application to human subjects with neurodegenerative dementia. Anal Biochem 2014;455:48-54.
- Basu S, Basit A, Ravindran S, Patel VB, Vangala S, Patel H. Split calibration curve: An approach to avoid repeat analysis of the samples exceeding uloq. Bioanalysis 2012;4:2375-89.
- Ravindran S, Honrao C, Sahu R, Basu S, Basit A, Bharathi R, Vangala S. Determining quantity of metabolites without synthetic standards: an approach using LC-PDA-MS. International Journal of Chemical and Analytical Science 2011;2:1219-1221.
- Ravindran S, Honrao C, Sahu R, Basit A, Madireddy S, Basu S, Vangala S. Optimal use of mass spec scan modes to identify an unknown metabolite. Drug Invention Today 2011;3:259-261
- Singh A, Basit A, Banerjee UC. Burkholderia cenocepacia: A new biocatalyst for efficient bioreduction of ezetimibe intermediate. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 2009;36:1369-74.
Telephone: (509) 368-6573
Office Location: Pharmaceutical & Biomedical Sciences Building, Room # PBS-420