The Health Communication Working Group of the American Public Health Association has issued a call for abstracts. Deadline for submission is February 13. The conference will be held in Chicago Oct. 31-Nov. 4.
About the Health Communication Working Group
The Health Communication Working Group (HCWG) is part of the American Public Health Association’s (APHA)’s Public Health Education and Health Promotion (PHEHP) Section. The mission of HCWG is to create a forum for interaction and information exchange on health communication. We host sessions on health communication at the APHA Annual Meeting, and within APHA, we are the leading advocate for, and authority on, the use of communication and marketing approaches to improve the public’s health.
All abstracts for the Annual Meeting must be submitted online through the APHA Website. Here are step-by-step instructions:
Visit the PHEHP section Website and then click on “Start Abstract Submission” at the bottom of the page.
When you reach the topic selection screen, select any topic “organized by HCWG”.
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete your abstract submission.
You do not need to be an APHA member to submit an abstract. However, if your abstract is accepted for presentation, you must become an APHA member and register for the annual meeting prior to the presentation.
All topics related to health communication and marketing are welcome. However, HCWG is especially interested in abstracts on the following topics:
- Public Policy for Communicating Health and Risk Information (e.g. warning labels on tobacco products, nutrition labels, etc.)
- Policy to Regulate Marketing of Products with Health Effects (e.g. marketing of alcohol, tobacco, pharmaceuticals, etc.)
- Using Health Communication to Influence and Advocate for Policy
- Communication to Reduce Health Disparities and Inequalities
- Health Communication and Technology
- Online, Social, and Mobile Media Initiatives
- Mass Media Influences on Health Behavior
- Social Marketing and Health Communication Campaigns
- Cross-Cultural Health Communication
- Health Communication in Special Populations
- Cancer Communication, Prevention, and Survivorship
- Health Communication with Children, Adolescents, and Teens
- Communication and Personalized Medicine
- Patient-Provider Communication and Relationships
- Health Literacy Issues
- Health Communication and Organizations
- Health Communication: Other Topics
Abstracts must include at least two learning objectives. Learning objectives are needed as a standing APHA requirement. Incomplete abstracts cannot be reviewed.
Abstracts must be limited to 250 words or less. Please create your abstract off-line before accessing the online submission form. Use the spell check and word count features of your word processor before submitting it. (Learning objectives are NOT included in the word count.) Authors are encouraged to submit abstracts on current and emerging public health issues, especially around the theme of health policy.
If your abstract is accepted by another section, but you want recognition of its health communication merits, please contact Meghan Moran (firstname.lastname@example.org) regarding co-sponsorship by HCWG.
Please forward this email to anyone who may be interested in submitting an abstract. We look forward to your submissions and seeing you at APHA! Contact Meghan Moran (email@example.com) with any questions.