Auth, C., Hauser, Hopkins, B.K. 2021. A scientific note on a black soldier fly (Stratiomydae: Hermetia illucens) infestation within a western honey bee (Apis mellifera) colony. Apidologie. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13592-021-00844-y
Hopkins, B.K., Chakrabarti , P., Lucas, H., Sagili, R., Sheppard W.S. (2020) Impacts of different winter storage conditions on the physiology of diutinus honey bees (Apis mellifera L.) Journal of Economic Entomology. 114(1) 409-414 10.1093/jee/toaa302
Cazier, J., Hassler, E., Hopkins, B. K., Wilkes, J. T., Smith, K., Runzel, M. A Century of Discovery: Mining 100 Years of Honey Bee Research. Journal of Apicultural Research. 60 (1) 3-12 https://doi.org/10.1080/00218839.2020.1794303
Rajamohan, A., Danka, R., Hopkins, B. K., Rinehart, J. (2019). A non-activating diluent to prolong in vitro viability of Apis mellifera spermatozoa: Effects on cryopreservation and on egg fertilization. Cryobiology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cryobiol.2019.11.045 (impact factor- 2.14)
Stamets, P., Naeger, N., Evans, J., Han, J., Hopkins, B.K, Lopez, D, Moershel, H., Nally, R., Sumerlin, D., Taylor, A., Carris, L., Sheppard, W. (2018) Extracts of polypore mushroom mycelia reduce viruses in honey bees. Scientific Reports. 8 article# 13936 (impact factor – 4.5)
Gul, A., Onal, A.G., Sahinler, N., Hopkins, B.K., Sheppard, W.S. (2017) Effects of frozen-thawed honey bee semen supplemented with various plasma and diluents on fertilization rate. Theriogenology. 101 109-113 (impact factor 2.29)
Hopkins, B.K., Herr, C. and Sheppard, W.S. 2017 Gel-coated tubes extend above-freezing storage of honey bee (Apis mellifera) semen to 439 days with production of fertilized offspring. Reproduction, Fertility and Development. 29(10) 1944-1949 (impact factor -1.7)
Emamverdi, M., Zhandi, M., Hopkins, B.K. (2016) Preservation of honey bee spermatozoa using egg yolk and soybean lecithin-based semen extenders and a modified cryopreservation protocol. 55(4) Journal of Apiculture Research 279-283
Hopkins, B.K. 2014 Artificial Reproductive Techniques In Honey Bees: Sperm Cell Physiology, Semen Collection And Storage. ProQuest. Dissertation Pub# 3628836
Hopkins, B.K., Herr, C. and Sheppard, W.S. 2012 Sequential generation of honey bee (Apis mellifera) queens produced using cryopreserved semen. Reproduction, fertility and Development 24(8) 1079-83
Hopkins, B.K., Baker, P., Sheppard, W.S., and Herr, C. 2011 Value of egg-yolk in the cryopreservation of honey bee (Apis mellifera) semen. Cryobiology1016/j.cryobiol.2011.09.102
Hopkins, B.K. and Herr, C. (2010) Factors affecting the successful cryopreservation of honey bee semen. Apidologie 41 (5) 548-556
Hopkins B.K. and Herr, C. (2008) Cryopreservation of frog (Rana pipiens) sperm cells collected by non-lethal methods. Reproduction, Fertility and Development 20 (1): 120
Stucky, M., Hopkins, B.K., and Herr, C. (2008) Cryopreservation of honey bee spermatozoa. Reproduction, Fertility and Development 20 (1): 127-128
Hopkins, B.K. (2020). Apiary Design. In: Honey Bee Medicine for the Veterinary Practitioner. Wiley. Peer Reviewed.
Hopkins, B.K. and Rajamohan, A. FAO Animal Production and Health. Cryoconservation of Animal Genetic Resources. Sections 3, 4 and 6. ISSN 1810-0708
Hopkins, B. K. (Ed.). (2020, February). A Guide to Indoor Storage of Honey Bee Colonies in the United States. https://www.projectapism.org/indoor-storage-guide-for-honey-bees.html
- Hopkins, B. K (2020) Introduction
- Hopkins, B.K. (2020) Handling and preparation of colonies stored indoors: the “Ins” and “Outs”
- Hopkins, B.K. (2020) Beekeeper Q&A
- Western Innovator : Researcher seeks solutions to bee mysteries – Capital Press (July 2 2020)
- “Fungal Extracts Help Honeybees” Market to Market Iowa PBS (Jan 23, 2020 | Ep4526)
- Vegetable West Grower and PCA – https://vegetableswest.com/2020/05/05/honey-bee-pollinator-facility-officially-opened/ (May 5th 2020)
- “Clean Bee,” The Furrow, Magazine, United States of America. (June 2019).
- carbon Microparticles might have a huge benefit for honey bees
- “Building a Better Bee,” BBC, Radio, England. (May 28, 2019).
- “In An Effort To Save Honey Bees, WSU Researchers Turn To Refrigerators,” Washington Ag Network, Radio, United States of America. (May 9, 2019).
- “Team aims to find bee disease solution,” Daily Evergreen, Newspaper, United States of America. (April 2019).
- Casper WY news, TV, United States of America. (December 7, 2018).
- “Is the Key to Saving Pollinators … Honey Bee Semen?” Smithsonian Magazine, Magazine, United States of America. (July 18, 2018).
- “Bees may do better being kept in the dark”, Good Fruit Grower. Kate Prengaman (Mar 26, 2018)
- KiRO 7 news, TV, United States of America. (June 28, 2018).
- “WSU Bees: Prodigious Pollinators,” WSU, Internet, United States of America. (October 17, 2017).
- “The World’s Only Sperm Bank for Bees Is Here In The Northwest,” NPR, Radio, United States of America. (September 30, 2017).
- “The Making of a Queen,” Internet, United States of America. (August 5, 2017).
- “No Offense, American Bees, But Your Sperm Isn’t Cutting It,” Radio, United States of America. (June 2017).
- Ryan Bell NPR
- “Can Mushrooms Save the Honey Bee?” Biographic, Internet, United States of America. (April 25, 2017).
- “Fantastic Fungi,” Fantastic Fungi, Movie, United States of America. (March 2017).
- “How A ‘Sperm Bank’ Is Saving Honey Bees” Sound Effect, Radio, United States of America. (August 1, 2016).