School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
Washington State University
Office: EEME 159, Tel: 509-335-8218
- Assistant Professor, Washington State University, 2015 – present
- Postdoc, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 2012-2014
- Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering from Georgia Tech in 2011
- Research Engineer, Advanced R&D Center of Hyundai Motor Company, 2001-2006
- Novel Materials Processing and Nanomanufacturing: Structure-Property Relations in Materials
- Design of Functional Materials: Rational Control of Morphology, Defects, Microstructure, and Interfaces
- Solid-State Electrochemistry: (1) Batteries, (2) Fuel Cells, (3) Supercapacitors, and (4) Sensors
- Green Chemistry/Engineering: Sustainability of Materials and Resources
- X. Zhang, P. Dong and M. K. Song, “Metal-organic frameworks for high-energy lithium batteries with enhanced safety: recent progress and future perspectives,” Batteries & Supercaps, under revision, 2019.
- Q. Shi, Y. Cha, Y. Song, J. I. Lee, C. Zhu, X. Li, M. K. Song, D. Du, and Y. Lin, “3D graphene based hybrid materials: synthesis and applications in energy storage and conversion,” Nanoscale, 8, 15414-15447, 2016.
- M. K. Song, E. J. Cairns, and Y. Zhang, “Lithium-sulfur batteries with high specific energy: old challenges and new opportunities,” Nanoscale, 5, 2186-2204, 2013.
- M. K. Song, S. Park, F. Alamgir, J. Cho and M. Liu, “Nanostructured electrodes for lithium-ion and lithium-air batteries,” Materials Science and Engineering:R: Reports, 72, 203-252, 2011.
- Symposium Organizer: (1) “Carbon Nanostructures for Energy Conversion and Storage” for the 235th meeting of The Electrochemical Society (ECS) in Dallas, TX (May 26 – 31, 2019), (2) “Green electrochemical energy storage solutions: materials, processes and devices” for 2019 Materials Research Society (MRS) Fall Meeting in Boston, MA (December 1 – 6, 2019), (3) “2D Materials and Beyond: Innovative Materials, Assemblies, and Devices for Energy and Fuel” for 258th American Chemical Society (ACS) Meeting in San Diego, CA (August 25 – 29, 2019)
- Proposal/Annual Progress Reviewer: National Science Foundations (CAREER, CBET, CMMI, DMR, SNM), Department of Energy (Fuel Cell Technologies Office), Ministry of Trade and Industry in Singapore (Energy Market Authority)
- Journal Reviewer: ACS Nano, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, Advanced Energy Materials, Advanced Functional Materials, Advanced Sustainable Systems, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Chemistry of Materials, Green Chemistry, Electrochimica Acta, Hydrometallurgy, Inorganic Chemistry, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, Journal of Materials Science, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, Nano Energy, Nanomaterials, Nature Communications, Scientific Reports, Small
- External Consultant: on Next-generation Batteries, Environment and Energy Research Team, Central Advanced Research and Engineering Institute, Hyundai Motor Company (2013-2014)
- Faculty research mentor of the Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP) Program at WSU, 2018 – present
- Faculty advisor of the Materials Research Society (MRS) Student Club at WSU, 2018 – present
- Guest speaker on the annual “Career Day” at the Sunnyside Elementary School, 2018- present
- Faculty advisor of one NSF Innovation-Corps (I-Corps) team (SOC Energy Materials), 2017
- Reviewer of Undergraduate Research Scholarships (Auvil and Carson Awards), 2019 – present
- Judge of The Showcase of Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities (SURCA), 2019 – present
- Participant of the annual “Kids’ Science and Engineering Day” organized by the Society of Women Engineers (SWE), 2019 – present
- Over 30 invited research presentations at domestic/international universities, conferences and industry R&D centers in the field of advanced functional materials and energy technologies
- Recent invited presentations at domestic universities: Auburn University (Department of Chemical Engineering), Syracuse University (Center of Excellence for Environmental and Energy Systems), Oregon State University (Bilateral Symposium on Green Energy Generation and Storage with DGIST), Washington State University (School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering)
- Recent invited presentations at international universities/national labs: KAIST (Graduate School of Energy, Environment, Water and Sustainability), Korea Institute of Materials Science (Functional Ceramics Department), Pusan National University (Department of Organic Material Science and Engineering), Sookmyung Women’s University (Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering), KAIST (Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering), Gachon University (Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering)
- Recent invited presentations at conferences/symposiums: 148th The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS) Annual Meeting, 14th Annual Lithium Battery Materials & Chemistries Conference, 233rd Electrochemical Society (ECS) Meeting, 4th International Symposium on Hybrid Materials and Processing (HyMaP 2017), 252nd American Chemical Society (ACS) National Meeting & Exposition, 6th Annual Next-generation Energy Storage 2016 Conference, 2016 US-KOREA Conference (UKC 2016), 1st Annual Symposium of Joint Center for Deployment and Research in Earth Abundant Materials (JCDREAM), Fuel Cells Experts Forum (by Korean Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning US Office)
- Recent invited presentations at industry R&D centers: Microsoft, Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology (SAIT), Research Institute of Industrial Science & Technology (RIST), OCI Company Ltd R&D Center, MiCo Ltd R&D Center
- The Spokesman-Review (2019): Ask Dr. Universe: How do batteries work?
- The Daily Evergreen (2019): Researchers separate gas, combat climate change
- WSU Insider (2019): New separation technique could lead to reduced carbon dioxide emissions
- R&D Magazine (2018): Researchers use tin oxide nanocrystals to improve battery performance
- WSU Insider (2018): Sodium battery research could provide cheap, effective lithium alternative
- Chemistry World (2013): Lithium-sulfur batteries ready to go the distance
- C&EN (2013): Three ways to make high-energy batteries last
- Materials Today (2013): Holistic cell design for longer battery life
- Science Daily (2013): Holistic cell design leads to high-performance, long cycle-life Li/S battery
- EV World (2013): 450,000 mile battery by 2020?
- Green Car Reports (2013): Lithium-sulfur battery lab tests show high energy density
- PHYS.ORG (2013): Holistic cell design leads to high-performance lithium-sulfur battery
- Selected as the Outstanding Teaching Faculty Member (tenure-track) for the Year of 2017 by School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, WSU, 2018.
- Selected as one of WSU’s Top Industry Engaged Researchers for the Year of 2017 by Office of Commercialization, WSU, 2018.
- Received the WSU International Research Travel Award, jointly sponsored by Office of International Programs and Office of Research, WSU, 2017.