Herman and Brita Lindholm Endowed Chair Professor
School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
Washington State University (WSU)
Pullman, WA 99164-2920
Amit Bandyopadhyay received his Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering from the University of Texas at Arlington in 1995. He joined the Center for Ceramics Research at Rutgers University for his post-doctoral training in 1995. In 1997, he joined the School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering (MME) at WSU as an Assistant Professor and promoted to an Associate level in 2001 and to the full professor level in 2006.
Brief professional, technical and scientific achievements
- RESEARCH EXPERTISE: Prof. Bandyopadhyay’s research expertise lies with additive manufacturing of metallic and ceramic materials and their composites towards structural, bio- and piezoelectric materials.
- STUDENTS: Prof. Bandyopadhyay has supervised/supervising 14 Ph.D. and 23 MS graduate students for their degrees in mechanical engineering, physics and materials science and engineering. His students have moved to industry, academia and national labs within and outside US. Prof. Bandyopadhyay has also worked with over 40 undergraduate students from materials science, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering and bioengineering and published several journal papers and conference proceedings with them.
- HONORS: Prof. Bandyopadhyay is a Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors (NAI), American Ceramic Society (ACerS), American Society for Materials (ASM International), American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE) and American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). Prof. Bandyopadhyay received the CAREER award from the NSF in 1999 and the Young Investigator Program (YIP) Award from the ONR in 1998. Prof. Bandyopadhyay also received the best research faculty awards in 2005 and 2008, and the best teaching faculty award in 2000 from the School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering at WSU.
- FUNDING: Prof. Bandyopadhyay has received research funding from various federal agencies such as the National Science Foundation (NSF), the Office of Naval Research (ONR), the Nationals Institute of Health (NIH); state agencies such as Life Sciences Discovery Fund, Washington Technology Center and Joint Center for Aerospace Technology Innovation; foundations such as the W. M. Keck Foundation, M. J. Murdock Charitable Trust and companies such as H. C Starck, Philips, Biomet, Remelle Biomedical, and Pacific Research Lab (WA).
- PUBLICATIONS: Prof. Bandyopadhyay published over 250 technical papers including over 170 journal papers. He holds 11 US patents and several patent applications are currently pending at the United States Patent and Trademark Office. He has edited 8 books. His research papers have been cited over 6400 times by various research groups and his current “h” index is 45. Prof. Bandyopadhyay has given over 140 presentations in various symposia, national labs and industries.
- BEST PAPER OF THE YEAR AWARDS: Prof. Bandyopadhyay received the best paper of the year award from the Rapid Prototyping Journal in 1998 and 2006.
- STUDENT AWARDS: Prof. Bandyopadhyay’s graduate students have received numerous awards during their tenure at WSU under his supervision. Among others, his graduate students received the Acta Student Award from the Acta Materialia publications for their research papers published in Acta Biomaterialia for the years 2008 (Dr. Kakoli Das) and 2010 (Dr. Subhadip Bodhak). His undergraduate students have also received several prestigious awards including “Rhodes scholarship” and “NSF fellow”.
- EDITORIAL ACTIVITIES: Prof. Bandyopadhyay is an Editor / Associate Editor for many international journals including the journal of the American Ceramic Society, Applied Surface Science, Additive Manufacturing and also acts as a reviewer for over 40 different journals and various funding agencies within and outside the US.
|Aug.'06 - Present||Professor, MME, WSU, Pullman, WA 99164-2920|
|July '11 - Present||Scientist H, OS-STIO, CSIR, India (Consulting position, Part time)|
|Spring 2014||Visiting Professor, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA|
|Jan '08 - June '08||Visiting Professor, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA|
|Sep '07 - Dec '07||Visiting Scientist & CSIR Fellow, CGCRI, Kolkata, India|
|Spring '04 -Sep. '10||Director, Bioengineering Research Center, WSU|
|Aug.'01 - Aug.'06||Associate Professor, MME, WSU, Pullman, WA 99164-2920|
|Aug. '97 - Aug.'01||Assistant Professor, MME, WSU, Pullman, WA99164-2920|
|April' 95 - Aug.'97||Research Associate, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ 08855|
|Jan '92 - March'95||Graduate Assistant, University of Texas at Arlington, TX 76019|
|Sept '89 - July '90||Metallurgical Engineer, Bridge and Roof Company (I) Ltd., India|
American Ceramic Society (ACerS); American Society for Materials (ASM International); Materials Research Society (MRS), Society for Biomaterials (SFB), TMS, Society for Manufacturing Engineers (SME).
Born in Calcutta (India) in 1967. Wife: Prof. Susmita Bose, Professor, MME, WSU. Sons: Shohom and Aditya. US Citizen.