Research in Interdisciplinary STEM Education (RISE) is a 9-week residential summer research experience for undergraduate students in chemistry, education, life sciences, mathematics, or physics. Participants will join interdisciplinary teams mentored by faculty to investigate STEM learning across formal and informal environments with a focus on understanding issues related to inclusivity and diversity in STEM. The program starts in April with “Gear Up for Research”, a series of virtual lab group meetings designed for RISE participants to meet their faculty mentors and research teams, learn about their summer project, and learn basic skills and research protocols for the summer program.
- Gear up for Research: April 15 – May 15
- Residential Program: June 2 – Aug 15
- Application Deadline: February 15, 2022
- Notification Date: Early-mid March 2022
- Stipends: $6000 stipend, travel awards for students with financial need, on-campus housing provided free-of-charge
In order to participate in the RISE program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Identify as a US citizen or permanent resident,
- Return to an undergraduate degree program in Fall 2022,
- Participate in Gear up for Research, a weekly virtual lab group meeting, prior to the summer residential program (April 15 – May 15), and
- Be willing to have fun while learning how to do research in STEM education!
Women, first-generation, and individuals from non-PhD granting institutions and/or who identify with underrepresented populations are especially encouraged to apply. If you attend school that is on quarters or tri-mesters, we will work with you to accommodate your end-of-year schedule.
Director, Dr. Erika Offerdahl, School of Molecular Sciences (erika.offerdahl @ wsu.edu)
Co-Director, Dr. Molly Kelton, Department of Teaching and Learning (molly.kelton @ wsu.edu)
This program is made possible by a grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF-DUE #1852235).
Individuals with disabilities are invited to request reasonable accommodations to participate in WSU-sponsored programs and events. To request an accommodation(s), please email the director. WSU is an equal opportunity institution.