See current Publications list:
[Working on updates to specific pdf postings below. Not showing 2018+ items at present. Please come back soon to see the updates.]
Files posted here in pdf format are intended for private, scientific or education use of single copies only and may not be redistributed or used commercially. Each publisher holds the respective copyright.
symbols denote: +postdoc, *graduate student,#undergraduate student, or xhigh school student at time of work
- R Norton, J Harrison, K Keller, KB Moffett (accepted) Effects of storm size and frequency on nitrogen retention, denitrification, and N2O production in bioretention swale mesocosms. Biogeocchemistry.
- A Jones*, B Hodges, J McClelland, A Hardison, KB Moffett (2017) Residence time-based classification of surface water systems. Water Resources Research.
- RW Wagner, D Lague, D Mohrig, P Passalaqua, J Shaw, KB Moffett (2017) Elevation change and stability on a prograding delta. Geophysical Research Letters.
- KB Moffett and SM Gorelick. (2016) Alternative stable states of tidal marsh vegetation and channel pattern complexity in the San Francisco Bay estuary, California, USA. Ecohydrology. doi: 10.1002/eco.1755. [link] [pdf paper] [pdf supplement]
- KB Moffett and SM Gorelick. (2016) Relating salt marsh pore water geochemistry patterns to vegetation zones and hydrologic influences. Water Resources Research, 52, doi:10.1002/2015WR017406. [link] [pdf paper]
- KB Moffett, W Nardin+, S Silvestri, C Wang, S Temmerman (2015) Multiple stable states and catastrophic shifts in coastal wetlands: progress, challenges, and opportunities in validating theory using remote sensing and other methods. Remote Sensing, 7(8), 10184-10226. doi:10.3390/rs70810184. [link] [pdf paper]
- MT O’Connor* and KB Moffett (2015) Groundwater dynamics and surface water–groundwater interactions in a prograding delta island, Louisiana, USA, Journal of Hydrology, 524, 15-29. doi:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2015.02.017. [link] [pdf paper] [pdf supplement]
- KB Moffett, J Law#, SM Gorelick, N Nur, and JK Wood (2014) Alameda song sparrow abundance related to salt marsh vegetation patch size and shape metrics quantified from remote sensing imagery, San Francisco Estuary and Watershed Science, 12(3). doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.15547/sfews.2014v12iss3art2. [link] [pdf paper] [pdf supplements: Appendix A, Appendix B]
- H Zhang+, KB Moffett, L Windham-Meyers, SM Gorelick (2014) Hydrological controls on methylmercury distribution and flux in a tidal marsh, Environmental Science & Technology, 48(12), 6795–6804. doi:10.1021/es071309m. [link] [pdf paper]
- KB Moffett+ and SM Gorelick (2013) Distinguishing wetland vegetation and channel features with object-based image segmentation, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 34(4): 1332-1354. doi:10.1080/01431161.2012.718463. [link] [pdf paper]
- KB Moffett*, SM Gorelick, RG McLaren, and EA Sudicky (2012) Salt marsh ecohydrological zonation due to heterogeneous vegetation – groundwater – surface water interactions, Water Resources Research, 48, W02516. doi:10.1029/2011WR010874. [link] [pdf paper]
- KB Moffett* and SM Gorelick (2012) A method to calculate heterogeneous evapotranspiration using sub-meter thermal infrared imagery coupled to a stomatal resistance submodel, Water Resources Research, 48, W01545. [link] [pdf paper]
- KB Moffett*, DA Robinson, and SM Gorelick (2010) Relationship of salt marsh vegetation zonation to spatial patterns in soil moisture, salinity and topography, Ecosystems, 13: 1287-1302. doi:10.1007/s10021-010-9385-7. [link] [pdf paper] [pdf supplement]
- KB Moffett*, A Wolf*, JA Berry, and SM Gorelick (2010) Salt marsh – atmosphere exchange of energy, water vapor, and carbon dioxide: effects of tidal flooding and biophysical controls, Water Resources Research, 46, W10525. doi:10.1029/2009WR009041. [link] [pdf paper] [pdf supplement]
- Y-M Cho*, D Werner, KB Moffett*, and RG Luthy (2010) Assessment of advective porewater movement affecting mass transfer of hydrophobic organic contaminants in marine sediment, Environmental Science & Technology, 44(15): 5842-5848. doi:10.1021/es903583y. [link] [pdf paper] [pdf supplement]
- KB Moffett*, SW Tyler, T Torgersen, M Menon+, and SM Gorelick (2008) Processes controlling the thermal regime of saltmarsh channel beds, Environmental Science & Technology, 42(3): 671-676. doi:10.1021/es071309m. [link] [pdf paper] [pdf supplement]
- Eliashar, R, I Eliachar, T Gramlich, W Davros, K Moffettx, M Strome (2001) Dynamic tissue expansion of the larynx in a canine model. Archives of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery, 127(3): 309-315.
- Eliashar, R, W Davros, T Gramlich, K Moffettx, I Eliachar, R Esclamado, M Strome (2000) Evaluating laryngotracheal stenosis in a canine model with virtual bronchoscopy. The Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology, 109(10 Pt 1): 906-912.
- K Moffett, A Atamian, C How, L Wordsman, and K Kane (2003) Evaluating management scenarios in the Croton Watershed, 23rd Annual ESRI International User Conference, San Diego, CA. Oral presentation and paper. [link] [pdf paper]
Books, Chapters, Book figures
- KB Moffett* (2013) Figure 10.16. “Salt marsh ecohydrological zonation due to heterogeneous vegetation-groundwater-surface water interactions.” in Blöschl, G., M. Sivapalan, T. Wagener, A. Viglione, and H. Savenije (Eds.) Runoff Prediction in Ungauged Basins: Synthesis across Processes, Places and Scales, Cambridge University Press, 484 pages. [citation: Moffett et al., 2012, WRR, W02516 — see above.]
- K Moffett*, contributor (2009) Geologic Field Guide to Iceland, Stanford Alpine Project, Stanford University. [link] [low-res pdf]
- K Moffett*, J Fosdick*, G Hughes*, B Mirus*, and S Carter* (Eds.) (2005) Field Guide to Guatemalan Geology, Stanford Alpine Project, Stanford University. [link] [pdf]
Graduate Theses and Dissertations from the Research Group
- MT O’Connor* (2014) Groundwater dynamics and surface water-groundwater interactions in a prograding delta island, Louisiana, USA, M.S. Thesis, Department of Geological Sciences, University of Texas at Austin. [see paper and supplement]
- BC Smith* (2014) The effects of vegetation on island geomorphology in the Wax Lake Delta, Louisiana, M.S. Thesis, Department of Geological Sciences, University of Texas at Austin.
- KB Moffett* (2010) Groundwater-vegetation-atmosphere interactions in an intertidal salt marsh, Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Environmental Earth System Science, Stanford University. [link]
Senior Projects and Student Reports from the Research Group
- A Trusty# (2015) Distributed land surface water balance and seasonal terrestrial hydrologic variability in Portland, Oregon, NSF REU summer project, Environmental Science, Washington State University Vancouver.
- A Eljuri# (2014) Role of rain gardens and vegetated retention ponds in redirecting stormwater runoff into evaporation or recharge in downtown Austin, Texas, BS Honors Thesis, Geological Sciences, University of Texas at Austin.
- K Stanford# (2014) Ecosystem services of stormwater management structures in Austin, Texas, BS research report, Bridging Disciplines Program, University of Texas at Austin.
- J Koen# (2014) Spatial variability and temporal trends in the evapotranspiration of Austin, Texas from 1990-2010, BS senior project report, Environmental Science, University of Texas at Austin.
- R Soutter# (2014) Coupled analysis of thermal conductivity and water retention in green roof substrates, BS senior project report, Environmental Science, University of Texas at Austin. (co-adviser Todd Caldwell)
- A Black# (2014) Post-drought crop conversion of rice paddy fields in Matagorda County, Texas, BS research report, Geological Sciences, University of Texas at Austin.
- S Slater# (2014) Detecting root network development in Panicum hallii switchgrass using X-ray computed tomography, BS research report, Biological Sciences, University of Texas at Austin.
- S Christel# (2002) Online database of San Francisco Bay area tidal salt marshes, BS research report, Earth Systems Program, Stanford University.
- A McCulloch# (2002) Using a natural tidal slug to determine the hydraulic conductivity of wetland soils in the Palo Alto Baylands, BS senior project report, Geology, Carleton College.
- J Law# (2012) Using spatial pattern analysis of marsh vegetation cover to characterize Alameda Song Sparrow density in the South San Francisco Bay, BS Honors Thesis, Earth Systems Program, Stanford University.
- A Stafford# (2009) Engaging the public in the science of the San Francisco Baylands, BS research report, Earth Systems Program, Stanford University.
Outreach and Education materials from the Research Group
- see page at: https://labs.wsu.edu/ecohydrology/edu-outreach/