My name is José Marcial and I am from Benton City, WA. Currently I am researching nuclear waste vitrification as a post-doctoral researcher, specifically on the structure-property relationships of crystallization in glass and the influence of nepheline crystallization on chemical durability. I earned a Bachelor’s of Science and Ph. D. in Materials Science and Engineering from Washington State University, USA. Experimental techniques in which I am proficient include: X-ray diffraction, synchrotron X-ray and neutron total scattering, scanning electron microscopy, electron microprobe, thermo-gravimetric analysis, and Raman spectroscopy. My hobbies include running, hiking, and playing guitar.
Awards and Activities
- Selected for the 2017 US School of Total Scattering Analysis
- Selected for the 18th National School on Neutron and X-ray Scattering – 2016
- Student Delegate to the American Ceramic Society Nuclear and Environmental Technology Division – 2015-2016
- Graduate Fellowship through the Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need (GAANN Fellowship) – 2014 – 2015
- American Ceramic Society, Presidential Committee of Student Advisors – 2014-16
- 2015 Roy G. Post Foundation Graduate Scholarship for Safe Management of Nuclear Materials – 2015
- American Ceramic Society, Nuclear Division, Student Travel Award – 2014
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Alternately-Sponsored Fellow – 2014
- Pacific Northwest Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP) Senior Poster in Physical Sciences – 2013
- LSAMP Outstanding Researcher Award – 2012
- WSU Presidents Honor Roll – Spring & Fall 2012, Spring 2013
- JD Williams Student Poster Award, 51st INMM Annual Meeting – 2010
Publications and Presentations
- J. Marcial, J. Kabel, M. Saleh, N. Washton, Y. Shaharyar, A. Goel, J. McCloy, Structural dependence of crystallization in glasses along the nepheline (NaAlSiO4) – eucryptite (LiAlSiO4) join, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., submitted
- A. Deshkar, J. Marcial, S. Southern, L. Kobera, D. L. Bryce, J. McCloy, A. Goel, Understanding the structural origin of crystalline phase transformations in nepheline (NaAlSiO4) based alkali/alkaline-earth aluminosilicate glasses, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 100 (7), 2859-2878 (2017). DOI: 10.1111/jace.14845
- M. Ahmadzadeh, J. Marcial, J. McCloy, Crystallization of iron-containing sodium aluminosilicate glasses in the NaAlSiO4-NaFeSiO4 join, J. Geophys. Res., 122 (4), 2504-2524 (2017). DOI: 10.1002/2016JB013661
- P. Dickens, J. Marcial, J. McCloy, B. S. McDonald, K. G. Lynn, Spectroscopic and Neutron Detection Properties of Rare Earth and Titanium Doped LiAlO2 Single Crystals, J. Lumin., 190, 242-248 (2017). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlumin.2017.05.047
- D. T. Rahman, K. Mireles, J. J. Gomez Chavez, P. C. Wo, J. Marcial, M. R. Kessler, J. McCloy, C. V. Ramana, R. Panat, High Temperature Physical and Chemical Stability and Oxidation Reaction Kinetics of Ni-Cr Nanoparticles, J. Phys. Chem., 121 (7), 4018-4028 (2017). DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.6b11560
- J. Marcial, J. Crum, O. Neill, and J. McCloy, Nepheline structural and chemical dependence on melt composition, Amer. Min., 101(2), 266-276 (2016). DOI: 10.2138/am-2016-5370
- J. Marcial, M. Ahmadzadeh and J.S. McCloy: Effect of Li, Fe, and B Addition on the Crystallization Behavior of Sodium Aluminosilicate Glasses as Analogues for Hanford High Level Waste Glasses. MRS Advances 2, 549 (2016). DOI: 10.1557/adv.2016.628
- J. Marcial, J. Kabel, M. Saleh, Y. Shaharyar, A. Goel, J. McCloy, Effect of B on Crystallization of Li and Na aluminosilicates, Proc. Waste Management WM2016, 16323 (2016). URL: http://www.wmsym.org/archives/2016/pdfs/16323.pdf
- Y. Shaharyar, J. Y. Cheng, E. Han, A. Maron, J. Weaver, J. Marcial, J. McCloy, A. Goel, Elucidating the Effect of Iron Speciation (Fe2+/Fe3+) on Crystallization Kinetics of Sodium Aluminosilicate Glasses, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc., 99, 9 (2016). DOI: 10.1111/jace.14239
- J.S. McCloy, N. Washton, P. Gassman, J. Marcial, J. Weaver, R. Kukkadapu, Nepheline Crystallization in Boron-Rich Alumino-Silicate Glasses as Investigated by Multi-Nuclear NMR, Raman, & Mössbauer Spectroscopies, J. Non-Cryst Solids, 409 149-165 (2015). DOI: 10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2014.11.013
- J. Marcial, J. McCloy, and O. Neill, Nepheline Crystallization in High-Alumina High-Level Waste Glass, MRS Online Proceedings Library, 1744, http://dx.doi.org/10.1557/opl.2015.382 (2015).
- J. Marcial, J. Chun, P. Hrma, M. Schweiger, The Effect of Bubbles and Silica Dissolution on Melter Feed Rheology during Conversion to Glass, Environ. Sci. Tech., 48 12173-12180 (2014). DOI: 10.1021/es5018625
- D.A. Pierce, P.R. Hrma, J. Marcial, B.J. Riley, M.J. Schweiger, Effect of Alumina Source on the Rate of Melting Demonstrated with Nuclear Waste Glass Batch, Int J. Appl. Glass Sci., 3 59-68 (2012). DOI: 10.1111/j.2041-1294.2012.00079.x
- P. Hrma, J. Marcial, Dissolution retardation of solid silica during glass-batch melting, J. Non-Cryst. Solids, 357 2954-2959 (2011). DOI: 10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2011.03.041
- P. Hrma, J. Marcial, K.J. Swearingen, S.H. Henager, M.J. Schweiger, N.E. TeGrotenhuis, Conversion of batch to molten glass, II: Dissolution of quartz particles, J. Non-Cryst. Solids, 357 820-828 (2011). DOI: 10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2010.11.096
- S.H. Henager, P.R. Hrma, K.J. Swearingen, M.J. Schweiger, J. Marcial, N.E. Tegrotenhuis, Conversion of batch to molten glass, I: Volume expansion, J. Non-Cryst. Solids, 357 829-835 (2011). DOI: 10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2010.11.102
- P. Hrma, M.J. Schweiger, C.J. Humrickhouse, J.A. Moody, R.M. Tate, T.T. Rainsdon, N.E. Tegrotenhuis, B.M. Arrigoni, J. Marcial, C.P. Rodriguez, Tincher BH, Effect of glass-batch makeup on the melting process, Ceramics-Silikaty, 54 193-211 (2010). URL: http://www.ceramics-silikaty.cz/2010/2010_03_193.htm
- M. J. Schweiger, P. Hrma, C.J. Humrickhouse, J. Marcial, B.J. Riley, N.E. TeGrotenhuis, Cluster formation of silica particles in glass batches during melting, J. Non-Cryst. Solids, 356 1359-1367 (2010). DOI: 10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2010.04.009
- J. Marcial, J. S. McCloy, Analysis of X-ray PDF Data of Glasses for Nuclear Waste Vitrification, 2017 US School on Total Scattering – Oak Ridge National lab, Oak Ridge, TN. Poster Presentation (May 8-12, 2017).
- J. Marcial, J.S. McCloy, M. Saleh, The Effect of Composition on the Local Structure of Alkali Alumino Borosilicate Model Glasses for Comparison with Hanford High-level Waste Glasses, 2016 MS&T Technical Meeting and Exhibition – Salt Lake City, UT. Oral Presentation (October 23-27, 2016).
- J. Marcial, M. Ahmadzadeh, J.S. McCloy, The Effect of Li, Fe, and B Addition on the Crystallization Behavior of Sodium Aluminosilicate Glasses as Analogues for Hanford High-level Waste Glasses, 2016 MRS Fall Meeting and Exhibit – Boston, MA. Oral Presentation (November 27-December 2, 2016).
- J. Marcial, J.S. McCloy, O.K. Neill, Investigation of Interfacial Conditions of Nepheline Crystallization within High-level Nuclear Waste Glasses, 2015 MS&T Technical Meeting and Exhibition – Columbus, OH. Oral Presentation (October 4-8, 2015).
- J. Marcial, J. Kabel, M. Saleh, Y. Shaharyar, A. Goel, J.S. McCloy, Effect of B on Crystallization of Li and Na aluminosilicates, 2015 ACerS GOMD-DGG Joint Annual Meeting – Miami, FL. Poster Presentation (May 17-21).
- Marcial, J.S. McCloy, O.K. Neill, The Effect of Heat Treatment Schedule on the Composition and Microstructure of Aluminosilicate Crystals in High-Alumina High-Level Nuclear Waste Glasses, 2015 WM Symposium – Phoenix, AZ (March 16-20)
- J. Marcial, J.S. McCloy, O.K. Neill, Nepheline Crystallization in High-Alumina High-Level Waste Glass, 2014 MRS Fall Meeting & Exhibit – Boston, MA. Oral Presentation (November 30-December 5, 2014).
- J. Marcial, J. Chun, P.R. Hrma, M.J. Schweiger, The Effect of Foaming and Silica Dissolution on Melter Feed Rheology During Conversion to Glass, 2014 Waste Management Symposium – Phoenix, AZ. Oral Presentation (March 2-6, 2014).
- J. Marcial. P.R. Hrma, S.H. Henager, Kinetics of Quartz Particle Dissolution during Glass Melting, 2011 Glass & Optical Materials Division Annual Meeting – Savannah, GA. Oral Presentation (May 15-19, 2011).
- J. Marcial, P.R. Hrma, M.J. Schweiger, K.J. Swearingen, S.H. Henager, J.A. Rice, Effects of Quartz Particle Size and Sucrose Addition on Melting Behavior of a Melter Feed for High-Level Waste Glass, 2010 DOE EM Waste Processing Technical Exchange – Atlanta, GA. Poster Presentation (November 16-18, 2010).
- J. Marcial, P.R. Hrma, M.J. Schweiger, K.J. Swearingen, N.E. Tegrotenhuis, S.H. Henager, Effects of Quartz Particle Size and Sucrose Addition on Melting Behavior of a Melter Feed for High-Level Waste Glass, 51st annual International Nuclear Materials Management Conference – Baltimore, MD. Poster Presentation (July 11-15, 2010).