Congratulations to Mostafa, who yesterday successfully defended his dissertation, “Systematic Investigation of Effects of Fe on Crystallization of Iron-containing Sodium-Aluminosilicate Glasses.” Great job!
Congratulations to Sam Karcher who received the 2019 Washington NASA Space Grant Consortium scholarship. Great job!
Congratulations to Emily who received the Roy G. Post scholarship for research to support the safe management of nuclear waste!
I have been delinquent in reporting these, but we have been busy in the group. See below some recent publications now online:
- M. Ahmadzadeh, T.A. Olds, A. Scrimshire, P.A. Bingham, and J.S. McCloy, “Structure and properties of Na5FeSi4O12 crystallized from 5Na2O-Fe2O3-8SiO2 glass,” Acta Crystallographica Section C, 74(12), 1595-1602 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1107/S2053229618014353
- D. S. Patil, M. Konale, M. Gabel, O.K. Neill, J.V. Crum, A. Goel, M.C. Stennett, N.C. Hyatt, and J.S. McCloy, “Impact of rare earth ion size on the phase evolution of MoO3-containing aluminoborosilicate glass-ceramics,” Journal of Nuclear Materials, 510, 539-550, (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2018.08.004
- E. P. Vicenzi, C.I. Pearce, J.L. Weaver, J.S. McCloy, S. Wight, T. Lam, S. Whittaker, R. Sjoblom, D.K. Peeler, M.J. Schweiger, and A.A. Kruger, “Compositional Imaging and Analysis of Late Iron Age Glass from the Broborg Vitrified Hillfort, Sweden,” Microscopy and Microanalysis, 24(S1), 2134-2135 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1017/S1431927618011157
- J. L. Weaver, C.I. Pearce, B. Arey, M. Conroy, E.P. Vicenzi, R. Sjoblom, R.J. Koestler, P.T. DePriest, T.F. Lam, D.K. Peeler, J.S. McCloy, and A.A. Kruger, “Microscopic Identification of Micro-Organisms on Pre-Viking Swedish Hillfort Glass,” Microscopy and Microanalysis, 24(S1), 2136-2137 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1017/S1431927618011169
- Jose Marcial, John McCloy, “Role of short range order on crystallization of tectosilicate glasses: a comprehensive diffraction study,” Journal of Noncrystalline Solids, 505, 131-143 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2018.10.050
- Ambar Deshkar, Mostafa Ahmadzadeh, Alex Scrimshire, Edmund Han, Paul A. Bingham, Donna Guillen, John McCloy, Ashutosh Goel, “Crystallization behavior of iron‐ and boron‐containing nepheline (Na2O·Al2O3·2SiO2) based model high‐level nuclear waste glasses,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 102(3), 1101-1121 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1111/jace.15936
- Jose Marcial, Muad Saleh, Deborah Watson, Steve W. Martin, Charles L. Crawford, John McCloy, “Boron-speciation and Aluminosilicate Crystallization in Alkali Boroaluminosilicate Glasses along the NaAl1-xBxSiO4 and LiAl1-xBxSiO4 joins,” Journal of Noncrystalline Solids, 506, 58-67 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2019.01.001
- Roozbeh Danaei, Tony Varghese, Mostafa Ahmadzadeh, John McCloy, Courtney Hollar, Mohammad Sadeq Saleh, Jonghyun Park, Yanliang Zhang, Rahul Panat, “Ultrafast Fabrication of Flexible Thermoelectric Films by Pulsed Light Sintering of Colloidal Nanoparticles,” Advanced Engineering Materials, Advanced Engineering Materials, 21(1), 1800800 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1002/adem.201800800
- Muad Saleh, Kelvin Lynn, Luiz Jacobsohn, John McCloy, “Luminescence of Undoped Commercial ZnS Crystals: Evidence on the Role of Impurities using Photoluminescence and Electrical Transient Spectroscopy,” Journal of Applied Physics, 125(7), 075702 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5084738
- Jason Lonergan, Charmayne Smith, John McCloy, Kathleen Richardson, “Modeling and Experimental Determination of Physical Properties of Gex-Gay-Se1-x-y Chalcogenide Glasses II: Optical and Thermal Properties,” Journal of Non-crystalline Solids, 511, 115-124 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2019.01.034
- Jason Lonergan, Charmayne Smith, John McCloy, Kathleen Richardson, “Modeling and Experimental Determination of Physical Properties of Gex-Gay-Se1-x-y Chalcogenide Glasses I: Structure and mechanical properties,” Journal of Non-crystalline Solids, 510, 192-199 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2019.01.031
- Jonathan Moore, Emily Nienhuis, Mostafa Ahmadzadeh, John McCloy, “Synthesis of Greigite (Fe3S4) Nanoparticles via a Hydrothermal Method,” AIP Advances, 9(3), 035012 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5079759
- John McCloy, Jose Marcial, Brian Riley, Jorg Neufeind, Jarrod Crum, Deepak Patil, “Method Development for High Temperature In-Situ Neutron Diffraction Measurements of Glass Crystallization on Cooling from Melt,” MRS Advances, in press, http://dx.doi.org/10.1557/adv.2019.46
- John McCloy, Jose Marcial, Deepak Patil, Muad Saleh, Mostafa Ahmadzadeh, Hua Chen, Jarrod Crum, Brian Riley, Hrishikesh Kamat, Antoine Brehault, Ashutosh Goel, Kristian Barnsley, John V. Hanna, Prashant Rajbhadari, Claire Corkhill, Russell Hand, Neil Hyatt, “Glass structure and crystallization in boro-alumino-silicate glasses containing rare earth and transition metal cations,” MRS Advances, in press, https://doi.org/10.1557/adv.2019.99
- Nienhuis, M. Saleh, J. McCloy, “Structural Characterization of Ternary Salt Melts for Low Activity Waste Applications,” MRS Advances, in press, https://doi.org/10.1557/adv.2019.136
- John S. McCloy, Brian Riley, Jarrod Crum, José Marcial, Joelle Reiser, Karen Kruska, Jacob Peterson, Daniel Neuville, Deepak Patil, Kristian Barnsley, John V. Hanna, “Crystallization Study of Rare Earth and Molybdenum Containing Nuclear Waste Glass Ceramics,” Journal of the Ceramic Society, in press (2019), https://doi.org/10.1111/jace.16406
It has been a long time since we have let you know what has been going on in our group.
First of all, we have three new group members who joined us in Fall 2018: Jani Jesenovec (joint with Prof. Kelvin Lynn), Natalie Gray, and Dave Bollinger. Three of our group members have moved on. Dr. Patil is a researcher at New Mexico Highland University, Dr. Lonergan is now a researcher at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, and Dr. Marcial is at the University of Chemistry and Technology, Prague.
Our group attended and presented at a number of meetings these last few months, including
- the 7th International Congress on Ceramics (Foz do Iguacu, Brazil),
- the 10th International Symposium on Technetium and Rhenium Science & Utilization (Moscow, Russia),
- the American Ceramic Society Glass and Optical Materials Division meeting (San Antonio, Texas),
- the Materials Science and Technology meeting 2018 (Columbus, Ohio),
- the Electrochemical Society Meeting (Seattle, Washington),
- the American Chemical Society Northwest Regional meeting (Richland, Washington),
- the Physics of Noncrystalline Solids/ European Society for Glass meeting (St. Malo, France),
- the 9th Spent Fuel Workshop (Sheffield, UK), and
- the University Conference on Glass (State College, Pennsylvania).
We’ve published a number of journal papers in the last few months:
- Antoine Brehault, Deepak Patil, Randall Youngman, Lynn Thirion, John Mauro, Claire Corkhill, John McCloy, Ashutosh Goel, “Compositional dependence of solubility/retention of molybdenum oxides in aluminoborosilicate based model nuclear waste glasses,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 122(5), 1714-1729 (2018). http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcb.7b09158
- Jamie Weaver, Chuck Soderquist, Nathalie Wall, John McCloy, “Chemometric Analyses of XANES Data Collected on 99Tc Bearing Silicate Glasses,” Journal of Radiological & Nuclear Chemistry, 316(1), 17-27 (2018). http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10967-018-5722-7
- Saehwa Chong, Jacob Peterson, Brian Riley, Diana Tabada, Donald Wall, Claire L. Corkhill, John McCloy, “Glass-bonded iodosodalite waste form for immobilization of I-129,” Journal of Nuclear Materials, 504, 109-121 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2018.03.033
- José Marcial, Joey Kabel, Muad Saleh, Yaqoot Shaharyar, Ashutosh Goel, John McCloy, “Structural dependence of crystallization in glasses along the nepheline (NaAlSiO4)-eucryptite (LiAlSiO4) join,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 101(7), 2840-2855 (2018), https://doi.org/10.1111/jace.15439
- S. Patil, M. Konale, M. Gabel, O.K. Neill, J.V. Crum, A. Goel, M.C. Stennett, N.C. Hyatt, and J.S. McCloy, “Impact of rare earth ion size on the phase evolution of MoO3-containing aluminoborosilicate glass-ceramics,” Journal of Nuclear Materials, 510, 539-550, (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2018.08.004
- J. L. Weaver, C.I. Pearce, R. Sjöblom, J.S. McCloy, M. Miller, T. Varga, B.W. Arey, M.A. Conroy, D.K. Peeler, R.J. Koestler, P.T. DePriest, E.P. Vicenzi, E. Hjarthner‐Holdar, E. Ogenhall, and A.A. Kruger, “Pre‐Viking Swedish Hillfort Glass: A Prospective Long‐Term Alteration Analogue for Vitrified Nuclear Waste,” International Journal of Applied Glass Science, 9(4), 540-554 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1111/ijag.12351
- Y. Cao, M. Ahmadzadeh, K. Xu, B. Dodrill, and J.S. McCloy, “Multiphase magnetic systems: Measurement and simulation,” Journal of Applied Physics, 123(2), 023902 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5010799
Also, Emily Nienhuis attended the International Commission on Glass (ICG) summer school in Montpellier, France (photo below).
And Muad Saleh and Mostafa Ahmadzadeh participated in the Presidents Council of Student Advisors meeting at MS&T in Columbus.
Great group of folks we have!
Prof. McCloy, who was promoted by WSU to Full Professor effective August 2018, was recently named a Fellow of the American Ceramic Society.
Jose was recently featured in a Department of Energy, Office of River Protection article:
Congratulations to Muad Saleh who was recently appointed to the American Ceramic Society’s Presidential Council of Student Advisors (PCSA).
Congratulations to Emily Nienhuis who was accepted to attend the Total Scattering School this summer.