Curriculum Vitae Overview
- July, 2016 – Chair, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, WSU.
- July, 2014 – Regents Professor, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, WSU.
- 2012 – Distinguished Chair of Food Engineering, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, WSU.
- 2003 – Professor, Food Engineering, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, WSU.
- 2000-03 Associate Professor, Food Engineering, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, WSU.
- 1995-00 Assistant Professor, Food Engineering, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, WSU.
- 1994-1995 Assistant Professor, Food and Biomaterial Engineering, Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD.
- 1992-present Adjunct Professor in the Department of Food Science and Technology, and Department of Agricultural Engineering at the Technical University of Nova Scotia, Halifax, NS, Canada.
- 1991-1994 Assistant Professor of Food Engineering, Department of Food Science and Technology, Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada.
- April 1991-Aug. 1991 Postdoctoral Fellow, Cereal Chemistry & Technology Group, Department of Crop Science and Plant Ecology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK.
- 1982-1985 Lecturer, Department of Agricultural Engineering, Hunan Agricultural University, Changsha, Hunan, China.
- 1987-1991 Ph.D., Agricultural Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, Canada.
- 1985-1987 M.S., Agricultural Engineering, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada.
- 1978-1982 B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Central-South University of Technology, Changsha, Hunan, China.
- 2016 – 2020; Director of USDA AFRI Center of Excellence for Food Safety Using Microwave Energy.
- 2011 – 2015; Principal Investigator of $5M, 5-year project supported by USDA NIFA “Control of food-borne bacterial and viral pathogens using microwave technologies” for frozen and refrigerated meals. The team consists of scientists from WSU, University of Tennessee, North Carolina State University, US Army Natick Soldier Center, USDA ARS Eastern Regional Center, companies/trade organizations (http://microwavepasteurization.wsu.edu/).
- 2011-2013; Director of Microwave Sterilization Consortium. Consortium members include WSU, Nestle, Pepsi-Cole, General Mills, Hormel, Bush Brothers, Print-Pack, Rexam Containers, Del Monte, Ocean Beauty Seafood, AmeriQual, and Wornick Foods (current budget: ~$0.6 M/year – fees collected from consortium members) (http://microwaveheating.wsu.edu/). Developed and patented a single-mode 915 MHz microwave sterilization technology for military and civilian uses; received FDA approval for a homogenous food: mashed potato in trays on Oct. 07, 2009 – first ever in USA for industrial microwave sterilization process; received FDA approval of our second process (for a non-homogenous food: salmon fillets in pouches) on Dec. 15, 2010. The outcomes of the research established scientific, engineering, and regulatory foundation for commercial application of this new technology
- 2002-08; Washington State University IMPACT Research Fellow of Food Processing Technology – one of three IMPACT fellows.
- 2000-07; Director of Research Consortium on Nonchemical Postharvest Control of Insect Pests in Fruits and Nuts by Electromagnetic Energy. Consortium members include scientists from four USDA research stations in Washington, California, Texas, Hawaii, and scientists from University of California, Davis, Israel Citrus Board and Agricultural Research Organization.
- 2004; NASA Summer Faculty Fellow with Advanced Food System in Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX – working on package and processing solutions for long-duration manned space missions.
- 2014 Fellow, Institute of Food Technologists.
- 2014 Fellow, American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers.
- 2014 Freezing Reearch Award, International Association for Food Protection/Frozen Food Foundation.
- 2013 Fellow, International Microwave Power Institute.
- 2012 International Food Engineering Award, American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers & Nestle, “For breakthrough engineering design and development of microwave/radio frequency thermal processing technologies, and outstanding leadership, and education of food engineering professionals”.
- 2012 G. Malcolm Trout Visiting Scholar, Michigan State University.
- 2012 Letter of No-objection from USDA FSIS for microwave sterilization of packaged low acid foods containing more than 2% of poultry, egg and meat ingredients.
- 2010 FDA Acceptance of Microwave Sterilization Process for Packed salmon Fillets in Pouch (12-15-2010) filed by my laboratory – the first FDA accepted filing for microwave sterilization of packaged low acid non-homogenous foods in USA.
- 2010 Research and Development Award by the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) for Development of FDA Accepted Microwave Sterilization Process. IFT is the largest international professional organization for food related research and the food industry with over 20,000 members worldwide.
- 2009 FDA Acceptance of Microwave Sterilization Process for Packaged Mashed Potato (10-07-09) filed by my laboratory – the first ever for microwave sterilization of packaged low acid foods in USA. Only three new food processing technologies received FDA approval over the past 20 years in USA.
- 2008 Anjan Bose Outstanding Researcher Award, College of Engineering and Architecture, WSU.
- 2005 Distinguished Food Engineering Professor, Southern Yangtze University (SYU), Wuxi, China (SYU selects only one outstanding food engineer worldwide per year to visit and lecture at SYU for one month).
- 2005 Graduate and Professional Student Outstanding Advisor Award (one of two awardees at WSU in 2005), Washington State University Graduate and Professional Student Association.
- 2004 ASAE Superior Paper Award.
- 2004 NASA Faculty Fellow, Advanced Food Technology Program, Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX.
- 2004 Outstanding Research Faculty, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, WSU.
- 2003 USDA Secretary’s Honor Award (the highest honor award from USDA) for increasing the efficiency, security, sustainability, and profitability of the fruit and vegetable industry through applications of the technologies developed.
- 2002 Award for Excellence, Northeastern Regional Association of State Agricultural Experimental Station Directors.
- 2002 Faculty Excellence in Research Award, College of Agriculture and Home Economics, WSU.
- 2001 ASAE Superior Paper Award (<2.5% of published papers in the Trans. of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers and Applied Agric. Engineering in 2000).
- 1994 IFT George F. Stewart International Research Paper Competition Award (1st place) from the Institute of Food Technologists.
- 1993 George F. Stewart International Research Paper Competition Award(one of three finalists) from the Institute of Food Technologists.
- 1987/88, 1988/89, 1989/90 Graduate Scholarships, University of Saskatchewan, Canada.
- 1987 Distinguished Thesis (<5% theses received this rating), University of Guelph, Canada.
- 1986/87, 1987/88 William Fellowships (<5% graduate students received this merit based fellowship), University of Guelph, Canada.
- Major advisor of 40 Ph.D. students (27 graduated), 3 M.S. students, over 48 post-doctoral research associates and visiting professors. Graduate students in my group have received 4 awards at national conferences, 15 regional awards, and two university awards over the past 8 years for their research activities or in paper competition.
- Taught the following courses at WSU: BsysE Professional Development (BsysE 215), Introduction to Food Engineering Labs (AgTM/FSHN 434), Food Plant Design (BsysE 487/587), Thermal Processing (BsysE584), Advanced Physical Properties of Foods (30-45% of BsysE 581), and Senior Project Design (75% of BsysE 311). Advisor of certified undergraduate students in food engineering track (1995-2002).
- Taught 300- to 400-level (3rd and 4th year) undergraduate courses: Food Engineering I (3 times), Food Engineering II (2 times), Food Processing Technology I (3 times), and part of Food Commodities I (3 times) at Acadia University, (NS, Canada). All were three semester credit courses (3 h lecture and 3 h lab per week). My average course evaluation scores were 6.27 (scale categories: 7-outstanding, 6-excellent, 5-high average, 4-average, .. 1-very poor).
- Taught a 400-level undergraduate course in Agricultural Processing at South Dakota State University. Evaluation score was 6.16 (same scale as above).
- Designed and supervised student labs using pilot-scale equipment for dehydration, centrifugation, filtration, size reduction, MF&UF membrane separation, IQF and plate freezing, heating, pressing and packaging units.
- Invited Speaker, 2016 International Conference on Food Safety Applications. September 29-30. Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Presentation title: Novel in-package thermal processing technologies based on microwave energy for food safety (40 min).
- Panel Speaker, Food Engineering Research – Opportunities and Challenges, 2016 Conference of Food Engineering, September 12-14, Columbus, OH.
- Invited Speaker, IFTPS (Institute for Thermal Processing Specialists) Conference: Responsibilities of Processing Authorities in the Implementation of Alternative Processing Technologies. Presentation Title: Microwave Sterilization of Packaged Foods (60 min).
- Invited Speaker, 3rd Global Congress on Microwave Energy Applications. Presentation title: Bridging Gaps in Microwave Technologies for Industrial Production of Safe Foods. July 25 – 29, Cartagena, Spain. Member of Scientific Committee for the Congress, Chair of Technical Sessions.
- Panel Speaker: When microwave heating technologies become main stream operations in the food industry. 3rd Global Congress on Microwave Energy Applications. July 25-29, Cartagena, Spain.
- Steering Committee and Presenter: NSF Food-Energy-Water Nexus Workshop: Transformative Food Technologies to Enhance Sustainability. Feb 22-24. Lincoln, Nebraska.
- Keynote Speaker (60 min): Thermal Processing Technologies based on Microwave Energy. Kuraray Symposium for South America, Houston, TX, Nov. 19-20.
- Invited Speaker (45 min): Innovative Thermal Processing (Microwave, RF) to Control Pathogens and Spoilage Microorganisms, 10th International Conference for Food Safety and Quality, San Francisco, Nov. 10-12.
- Invited Speaker: A New Microwave Pasteurization Technology to Control Bacterial and Viral Pathogens in Packaged Foods. Annual Conference of American Society of Agricultural and Biological Systems Engineers. New Orleans, July 27-29.
- Featured Speaker (30 min): Control of food borne bacterial and Viral Pathogens Using Microwave Energy, USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture Project Directors Conference, Portland, OR, July 24.
- Keynote Speaker (45 min): Microwave Assisted Pasteurization and Sterilization Technologies, 2nd Southeast Asia Technical Outreach Seminar, Bangkok, Thailand, Nov. 4-5.
- Invited Speaker (45 min): A New Microwave Pasteurization Technology to Control Bacterial and Viral Pathogens in Packaged Foods. Annual Conference of Institute for Thermal Processing Specialists, Orlando, March 11-13.
- Invited Speaker (30 min): A Novel Pasteurization Technology for Packaged Foods. Conference of Food Engineering, Omaha, April 8-10.
- Key Speaker (40 min): Innovative Thermal Processes to Control Pathogens and Spoilage Microorganisms. 8th International Conference for Food Safety and Quality, Las Vegas, Nov. 5-6.
- Invited Speaker (45 min): Microwave technologies for packaged foods- challenges and opportunities for packaging industry. Thin Wall Packaging Conference 2013. Cologne, Germany, Dec. 3-5.
- Keynote Speaker (40 min): Bridging Gaps between Academic Research and Food Industry in Microwave and RF Applications at opening of International Microwave Power Annual Symposium, Providence, RI, June 26/27.
- Guest Lectures on Microwave Heating Principles, Cornell University, March 2013.
- Keynote Speaker (30 min): Microwave Sterilization Technology for Commercial Production of Safe Foods. 2nd Global Congress on Microwave Energy Applications, Long Beach, CA July 25.
- Panellist for DOE Energy Session: Microwave and Radio Frequency as Enabling Technologies for Advanced Manufacturing. 2nd Global Congress on Microwave Energy Applications, Long Beach, CA, July 25.
- Invited Speaker (35 min): Conference of Food Engineers, April 2-4, Washington DC. Presentation Title: Microwave sterilization technology – a case study from technology development to commercialization.
- Malcolm Trout Visiting Scholar Lecture, Michigan State University, March 21, Title: “Microwave Technology for Food Safety – The Path from Research to FDA Approval”.
- Invited Speaker (45 min): Institute for Thermal Processing Specialists (IFTPS) Third European Conference, 4-5 Oct. 2011, Budapest, Hungary. Presentation Title: Microwave sterilization: a potential technology for production of safe and high quality food products.
- Keynote Speaker (50 min): Chinese Bio-resources Application Association Meeting, Sept. 3, Taipei, Taiwan. Presentation Title: Microwave sterilization for packaged foods.
- Keynote Speaker (60 min): MREs, Military Rations and Packages R&D Annual Meeting, Lake Tahoe, 25 October 2010. Presentation Title: Microwave sterilization, a potential technology for MREs.
- Invited Speaker (45 min): 2010 International Association of Refrigerated Warehouses (IARW) – World Food Logistics Organization (WFLO) Annual Convention & Expo, Westin Kierland Resort, Scottsdale, Arizona, April 24, 2010. Presentation Title: Microwave energy for food safety.
- Invited Speaker (60 min): International Forum for Future Agricultural Engineering Research and Education, and at Shanghai Ocean University (July 5, 2010); Zhejiang University (July 6, 2010); Yangling (July 9, 2010), China. Presentation Title: Microwave energy for food safety, Microwave/RF energy in food and agricultural processing applications.
- Keynote Speaker (35 min): International Symposium on Safety Assessment of Food Products and Processing–Forefront of Food Safety Technology and 39th Annual Conference of Taiwan Association for Food Science Technology, Ilan City, Taiwan, 25-27 November 2009. Presentation Title: Food safety issues related to microwave sterilization technology.
- Plenary Speaker: Food Safety Summit, 27-29 April 2009 Washington, DC. Presentation Title: Thermal Processing Using Microwave Energy: a possible fourth dimension for food safety and quality challenges.
- Plenary Speaker (30 min): American Associate of Cereal Chemists (AACC) International Meeting, 13-16 2009, Baltimore, MD. Presentation Title: Novel Thermal processing based on microwave and radio frequency energy for packaged foods. A panel member in Symposium: Advances in Delivery of Food Nutrients – Tailoring Process Operations for Health and Wellness.
- Plenary Speaker (45 min): International Forum on Emerging Technologies in Food Processing, 13-16 Sept. 2009, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign IL. Presentation Title: Microwave Heating Applications and Food Processing.
- Plenary Speaker (45min): 14th World Congress of Food Science and Technology, Shanghai, China, 20-23 October 2008 Presentation Titles: 1) Hot Topics in Food Engineering- Microwave and Radio Frequency Sterilization, Plenary Symposium: Food Engineering: Past and Future Directions; and 2) Computer Simulation in Design of Microwave and Radio Frequency Systems. Food Processing Equipment – Computer Aided Design and Energy Saving Technologies.
- Anjan Bose Outstanding Researcher Award Lecture (40 min): College of Engineering and Architecture, WSU, 20 April 2008. Presentation Title: Multi-disciplinary research in developing emerging food technologies.
- Keynote Speaker (45 min): 2008 Global Congress on Microwave Energy Applications – Global Perspective on Microwave Technology in 21st Century, Lake Biwa, Otsu, Japan, August 5-7, 2008. Presentation Title: US Development of Single-Mode 915 MHz Microwave Sterilization Technology for Packaged Foods.
- Plenary Speaker: IFT Symposium–Safety of Food Processed Using Four Alternative Processing Technologies, Part I: Thermal processing, IFT Annual Meeting, New Orleans, 29 June 2008. Presentation Title: In package microwave processing.
- Plenary Speaker: IFT Symposium – Historical Developments of Novel and Nonthermal Processing, IFT Annual Meeting, New Orleans, 1 July 2008. Presentation Title: Historic development of microwave and radio-frequency processing.
- Plenary Speaker: IFT Symposium – Innovation in Numerical Modeling of Emerging Technologies, Part II-Microwave and Ohmic Heating, IFT Annual Meeting, New Orleans, 1 July 2008. Presentation Title: Microwave induced temperature patterns in food packages.
- Product Collaboration on WTC Projects. Discover WSU Workshop, organized by Washington Technology Center, WSU Grant Office, and SIRTI. April 10, 2007.
- How to write multi-disciplinary proposal, WSU OGRD Workshop for New Faculty. March 20, WSU.
- Microwave Sterilization Technology, USDA Short Course on Advanced Processing Technologies, University of California, Davis, March, 5-6, 2006.
- Novel Thermal Processing Technologies for Military, Space, and Retail Markets. Zhejiang University, HongZhou, August 10, 2006.
- Principles of MW and RF Sterilization Processes. South YangZie University, Wuxi, China, August 5, 2006.
- Keynote Speaker(40 min): 6th International Conference on Food Science and Technologies, Gongzhou, China, 6-10 November 2006. Presentation Title: Development of advanced thermal processing technologies in USA.
- Plenary Speaker: 39th Annual Microwave Symposium of the International Microwave Power Institute, Seattle, WA, , 13-15 July 2005. Presentation Title: Microwave and RF sterilization technologies for packaged foods.
- Plenary Speaker: USDA Emerging Processing Technologies Symposium. Washington DC, 26-27 May 2005. Presentation Title: Microwave and RF sterilization technologies for packaged foods.
- By special invitation: Multi-disciplinary and institution research at WSU in addressing challenges in food and agriculture engineering. To USDA CSREES and NRI National Program Leaders, Washington DC, February 17.
- Plenary Speaker: Pacific Northwest Farm Forum, Spokane, WA, 12 January 2005. Presentation Title: Extruded snack foods from legumes.
- Plenary Speaker: USA Dry Pea and Lentil Council, Western Pea and Lentil Grower Association, 2004 Annual Meeting “Pulse Outlook 2005”, Moscow, Idaho, 8 December 2004. Presentation Title: Puffed lentils-the future of extruded legume snack, Market Outlook Feature Presentation.
- By special invitation: How To Write Scientific Papers – China Agricultural University, Beijing, China, 13 October 2004.
- Research Strategy and Methods for Developing Thermal Quarantine and Phytosanitary Treatment for Postharvest Pest Control. U.S. Pacific Basin Agricultural Research Center, Hilo, Hawaii, 4 May 2004.
- Engineering in Food Industry and New Technology Development at WSU. Chemical Engineering, Department, WSU, 4 April 2004.
- Advanced Thermal Processing Technology Development at Washington State University Northwest Food Processors Association Annual Meeting, Portland, OR, 15-16 January 2004.
- Plenary Speaker: Northwest Food Safety and Sanitation Conference, Portland, OR, Oct. 21-22. Presentation Title: Emerging Food Processing Technologies.
- Plenary Speaker: Conference of Food Engineering, AIChE Annual Meeting – Tutorial on Engineering Properties of Biological Materials, San Francisco, CA, 16-21 November 2003. Presentation Title: Dielectric Properties Related to Radio Frequency and Microwave Heating.
- Invited speech on Current and Emerging Technologies in Fruit and Vegetable Processing, PepsiCo Fruit and Vegetable Research and Innovation Summit (2008, 2009, 2010).
- RF Drying Technology for Low Oil Potato Chips, Fritolay, TX (2007)
- ConAgra, Microwavable foods (2012-)
- J. Food Engineering (2010-)
- International Journal of Food Engineering (2004-)
- Journal of Food Processing and Preservation (2008-)
- Journal of Microwave Power and Energy (2010-)
- Section Editor and Vice Chair of Editorial Board, International Journal of Agricultural and Biological Engineering (2008)
- Associate Editor, J. Applied Engineering in Agriculture, Food & Process Engineering Institute of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers (2000-2012)
- Associate Editor, Transactions of the ASAE, Food & Process Engineering Institute of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers (2000-present)
- Contributing Editor, Advances in Agricultural Science and Technology Series Vol. 1: Advances in Bioprocessing Engineering (1998-2002)
Scientific Advisory Board for American Institute of Frozen Foods (2014-).
International Microwave Power Institute
- President (2009-2010)
- Board of Governors (2005-present)
- Annual Symposium Committee Chair (2006-2011)
- Organizing Committee Member, 2nd World Congress on Microwave Energy Applications for 2012 (2008- present)
Institute of Food Technologists, Food Engineering Division
- Chair (2010-2011), Executive Officer (2006- present)
American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers
- Technical Paper Awards Committee, Food & Process Engineering Institute of ASAE (1999 -present; Chair, 2000-01)
- Publication Committee, Food & Process Engineering Institute of ASAE (2000 – ; Chair,2001-02)
- Organizer of technical sessions on microwave and radio frequency heating at ASAE annual meetings (1999-2007)
Association of Overseas Chinese Agricultural, Biological and Food Engineers
- President (2004-05), Board of Directors (2002- 2010), AOC Foundation Board of Directors (2005–2012), Organizing Committee (2001), Chair of Meetings and Conference Committee (2002-04)
- Co-Chair for University 2014-2019 Strategic Planning – Outreach, Engagement and Economic Department Sub-team (2014-2015).
- Associate Chair, Department of Biological Systems Engineering (2011-present).
- Food Engineering Area Leader, Department of Biological Systems Engineering (2000-2013).
- Co-Chair, Department of Chemical Engineering and Department of Biological Systems Engineering Re-organization Committee (2007).
- Chair, Promotion and Tenure Advisory Committee, College of Agriculture and Home Economics, WSU (2004-05).
- Chair, Graduate Committee, Department of Biological Systems Engineering (2004-present).
- Chair, Postharvest/Food Engineering/Food Science Strategic Planning Team for the College of Agriculture and Home Economics (2000-01).
- Chair, WSU Food Processing Pilot Plant Committee (2000-02).
- Chair, Scholarship Committee, Department of Biological Systems Engineering (1997-01).
- Advisor of Biological Systems Engineering Student Club (1996-1998).