Karl Effertz was born and raised on a small grain farm and cattle ranch in central North Dakota. After completing a bachelor’s degree in Microbiology and Chemistry from North Dakota State University he worked in the Biotech industry for three years before beginning his PhD in the Fall of 2017. His research projects revolve around a cluster of defense genes responsible for broad spectrum resistance and isolate-specific susceptibility in the barley – Pyrenophora teres f. teres pathosystem. By investigating and cloning the resistance gene(s) underlying this locus, Karl hopes to improve the net blotch resistance of elite barley cultivars while gaining basic knowledge into how plants recognize and resist necrotrophic pathogens. He has also recently taken a leading role in the set-up and operation of our malt quality lab, so feel shoot him an email with any questions regarding the malt quality testing process!
- Effertz, K., Clare, S.J., Harkins, S.M., and Brueggeman, R.S. (2021). Understanding plant-pathogen interactions in net blotch infection of cereals. In Achieving Durable Disease Resistance in Cereals, R. Oliver, ed. (Cambridge, UK: Burleigh Dodds Science Publishing Limited), pp. 1-36.
- Clare, S. J., Çelik Oğuz, A., Effertz, K., Sharma Poudel, R., See, D., Karakaya, A., Brueggeman, R. S. (2021). Genome wide association mapping of Pyrenophora teres f. maculata and Pyrenophora teres f. teres resistance loci utilizing natural Turkish wild and landrace barley populations. G3 Genes|Genomes|Genetics. doi: 10.1093/g3journal/jkab269
↳ BioRxiv. doi: 10.1101/2021.06.07.447398
- Tamang, P., Richards, J. K., Solanki, S., Ameen, G., Sharma Poudel, R., Deka, P., Effertz, K., Clare, S., Hegsted, J., Bezbaruah, A. N., Li, X., Horsley, R. D. Friesen, T. L., Brueggeman, R. S. (2021). The barley HvWRKY6 transcription factor is required for resistance against Pyrenohpora teres f. teres. Front. Genet. doi: 0.3389/fgene.2020.601500
- Smertenko, A., Clare, S. J., Effertz, K., Parish, A., Ross, A., Schmidt, S. (2020) A guide to plant TPX2-like and WAVE-DAMPENED2-like proteins. J. of Exp. Bot. doi: 10.1093/jxb/eraa513
- Brueggeman, R.S., Solanki, S., Ameen, G., Effertz, K., Poudel, R.S., and Karakaya, A. (2020). Fungal diseases affecting barley. In Achieving Sustainable Cultivation of Barley, G. Fox, and C.Li, eds. (Cambridge, UK: Burleigh Dodds Science Publishing Limited), pp. 1–58.
- Ssemadaali,S.A., Effertz K., Singh, P., Kolyvushko O., and Ramamoorthy, S. (2016). Identification of heterologous Torque Teno Viruses in humans and swine. Scientific reports 6 (1), 1-10