- Understand fundamentals of PN Junction Diodes, MOSFETs and Bipolar Transistors
- Understand small- and large-signal characteristics Diodes and Transistors
- Design and simulate linear circuits in Cadence and Matlab
By course: EE 261 with grade of C or better.
By topic: KCL, KVL, basic circuit analysis including DC, AC, and transient analysis.
Course requisites: EE 352 Electrical Engineering Laboratory I
Experiments in electrical circuits, measurements and electronics; principles of measurements and measuring instruments.
Special Tutorial Sessions:
Starting Fall 2015, students will be use Cadence Virtuoso and Matlab Editors for design and simulate various homework problems. Familiarity with this tool will increasingly help them in industry placements and internships as well. Students are thus encouraged to attend the tutorial sessions as much as they can. Extra credit is given for attendance here.
- (Textbook) Microelectronic Circuits, A. Sedra and K. C. Smith, Oxford University Press, Sixth Edition, 2010, ISBN-13: 978-0195323030.
- (Reference) Microelectronic Circuit Design, R. C. Jaeger and T.N. Blalock, McGraw Hill, Second Edition, 2004, ISBN 0-07-232099-0.
- (Reference) SPICE, 2nd Edition, G. Roberts & A. Sedra, 1997, Oxford University Press.
Quizzes (9) 25%
Exams (2) 30%
Final Exam 25%
Extra Credit up to 5% for attendance and participation in problem solving and tutorial session
Broad Table of Contents:
- Signals and Amplifiers
- Operational Amplifiers
- Semiconductors and Diodes
- MOSFET small- and large-signal characteristics
- BJT small- and large-signal characteristics
- Single-stage amplifiers
- Frequency Response
- Differential- and multi-stage amplifiers