It has been a long time since we have let you know what has been going on in our group.
First of all, we have three new group members who joined us in Fall 2018: Jani Jesenovec (joint with Prof. Kelvin Lynn), Natalie Gray, and Dave Bollinger. Three of our group members have moved on. Dr. Patil is a researcher at New Mexico Highland University, Dr. Lonergan is now a researcher at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, and Dr. Marcial is at the University of Chemistry and Technology, Prague.
Our group attended and presented at a number of meetings these last few months, including
- the 7th International Congress on Ceramics (Foz do Iguacu, Brazil),
- the 10th International Symposium on Technetium and Rhenium Science & Utilization (Moscow, Russia),
- the American Ceramic Society Glass and Optical Materials Division meeting (San Antonio, Texas),
- the Materials Science and Technology meeting 2018 (Columbus, Ohio),
- the Electrochemical Society Meeting (Seattle, Washington),
- the American Chemical Society Northwest Regional meeting (Richland, Washington),
- the Physics of Noncrystalline Solids/ European Society for Glass meeting (St. Malo, France),
- the 9th Spent Fuel Workshop (Sheffield, UK), and
- the University Conference on Glass (State College, Pennsylvania).
We’ve published a number of journal papers in the last few months:
- Antoine Brehault, Deepak Patil, Randall Youngman, Lynn Thirion, John Mauro, Claire Corkhill, John McCloy, Ashutosh Goel, “Compositional dependence of solubility/retention of molybdenum oxides in aluminoborosilicate based model nuclear waste glasses,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 122(5), 1714-1729 (2018). http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcb.7b09158
- Jamie Weaver, Chuck Soderquist, Nathalie Wall, John McCloy, “Chemometric Analyses of XANES Data Collected on 99Tc Bearing Silicate Glasses,” Journal of Radiological & Nuclear Chemistry, 316(1), 17-27 (2018). http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10967-018-5722-7
- Saehwa Chong, Jacob Peterson, Brian Riley, Diana Tabada, Donald Wall, Claire L. Corkhill, John McCloy, “Glass-bonded iodosodalite waste form for immobilization of I-129,” Journal of Nuclear Materials, 504, 109-121 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2018.03.033
- José Marcial, Joey Kabel, Muad Saleh, Yaqoot Shaharyar, Ashutosh Goel, John McCloy, “Structural dependence of crystallization in glasses along the nepheline (NaAlSiO4)-eucryptite (LiAlSiO4) join,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 101(7), 2840-2855 (2018), https://doi.org/10.1111/jace.15439
- S. Patil, M. Konale, M. Gabel, O.K. Neill, J.V. Crum, A. Goel, M.C. Stennett, N.C. Hyatt, and J.S. McCloy, “Impact of rare earth ion size on the phase evolution of MoO3-containing aluminoborosilicate glass-ceramics,” Journal of Nuclear Materials, 510, 539-550, (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2018.08.004
- J. L. Weaver, C.I. Pearce, R. Sjöblom, J.S. McCloy, M. Miller, T. Varga, B.W. Arey, M.A. Conroy, D.K. Peeler, R.J. Koestler, P.T. DePriest, E.P. Vicenzi, E. Hjarthner‐Holdar, E. Ogenhall, and A.A. Kruger, “Pre‐Viking Swedish Hillfort Glass: A Prospective Long‐Term Alteration Analogue for Vitrified Nuclear Waste,” International Journal of Applied Glass Science, 9(4), 540-554 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1111/ijag.12351
- Y. Cao, M. Ahmadzadeh, K. Xu, B. Dodrill, and J.S. McCloy, “Multiphase magnetic systems: Measurement and simulation,” Journal of Applied Physics, 123(2), 023902 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5010799
Also, Emily Nienhuis attended the International Commission on Glass (ICG) summer school in Montpellier, France (photo below).
And Muad Saleh and Mostafa Ahmadzadeh participated in the Presidents Council of Student Advisors meeting at MS&T in Columbus.
Great group of folks we have!